CONSTITUTION & BY-LAWS
SCIENCE MUSEUM CAMERA CLUB
Buffalo Museum of Science
Buffalo, New York 14211
ARTICLE I - NAME and AFFILIATION
This organization will be known as the Science Museum Camera Club, hereafter called the “Club.” This organization will be an affiliate of the Buffalo Museum of Science with the benefits and responsibilities as stated in the "Memorandum of Affiliation."
ARTICLE II - OBJECTIVES
The objectives of the Club will be:
1. To enjoy, master, and improve the art of photography through cooperative sharing, conscientious effort, and good fellowship, and
2. To encourage membership and develop and carry out a program of mutual photographic interest of its members, and
3. To hold regular meetings devoted to photography and to encourage high standards of photographic achievement.
ARTICLE III - MEETINGS
The Club will meet regularly at the Buffalo Museum of Science, Humboldt Parkway, Buffalo, New York
ARTICLE IV - MEMBERSHIP
Any person, seriously interested in the art and science of photography and desirous, not only to learn, but to contribute to its advancement, may apply for membership, in accordance with the procedure in the By-Laws.
ARTICLE V - FISCAL YEAR
The fiscal year of the Club will begin July 1st each year and end on June 30th of the following year.
ARTICLE VI - OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
- The business of the Club and related activities may be shared by co-chairmen and will be delegated to:
Vice-President - Programs
Chair - Projected Image Division
Co-chair - Projected Image Division
Chair - Print Division
Co-chair - Print Division
Director of Membership
Director of FORMAT
Immediate Past President
- Election and terms of these officers and directors and their duties are outlined in the By-Laws.
ARTICLE VII - COMMITTEES
Special Committees may be appointed by the President as the need arises and may be discharged by the President when their tasks are completed.
ARTICLE VIII - EXECUTIVE BOARD
- The management of the Club will be directed by elected officers and directors, and the immediate Past President, each of whom will have the same voting power.
- The President will act as the chair of the Board.
- The Secretary will act as the secretary of the Board.
ARTICLE IX - AMENDMENTS
- Changes in the Constitution may be proposed by any member, in writing, to the Executive Board, and if approved by it, the proposed change will be published and distributed to the membership. A vote will be taken at a meeting not less than two weeks after the notice is received by the members. A quorum, as defined in the By-Laws, must be present. A two-thirds affirmative vote of the active members present will be required for approval and the change will immediately become a part of the Constitution.
- Changes in the By-Laws may be proposed by any member, in writing, to the Executive Board, and if approved by it, the proposed change will be published and distributed to membership.
A vote will be taken at a meeting not less than two weeks after the notice is received by the members. The date of the meeting will be stated in the notice.
A quorum, as defined in the By-Laws, must be present. A majority affirmative vote of the active members present will be required for approval and the change will immediately become part of the By-Laws.
- Duly approved changes in the Constitution or By-Laws will be promptly communicated to all members.
ARTICLE X - RATIFICATION
This Constitution will be ratified upon majority approval by the Executive Board and the general membership. The Constitution will become effective in the next fiscal year.
SECTION I - MEMBERSHIP
- Membership is determined by the payment of annual dues.
- Members must be at least 18 years of age (A person under the age of 18 years may be a member if he/she is accompanied by an adult who is a paid member).
- The term of membership shall begin September 1st each year and end on August 31st of the following year.
- A Club Member can be removed by a two-thirds vote of the Board at a regularly scheduled meeting.
- A Club Member can be removed by a two-thirds vote of the Board at a regularly scheduled meeting.
- A person of outstanding ability in photography, or a person in any other activity who has served the Club extensively over a long period of time, may at the discretion of a two-thirds majority of the Executive Board be designated an "honorary" member. An "honorary" member will not pay any dues but will enjoy all privileges of membership in the Club.
SECTION II - FINANCES
- The annual dues will be established by the Executive Board prior to the beginning of each fiscal year.
- The annual dues must be paid in full by the last day in October of each year or all privileges of membership will expire. Payment of the dues prior to the end of the current fiscal year will automatically reinstate membership.
- If a new member joins after Jan 1st, dues will be credited for the remainder of the membership year and for the entire next membership year.
SECTION III - ELECTIONS
- Annually, by the February Board Meeting, the President, with advice of the Board, will appoint a nominating committee of two members from the Board and a member from the general membership not presently a member of the Board. This committee will canvass the active membership for individuals willing and capable of serving as officers. At the Board Meeting in March, a member of the nominating committee will present a slate of officers to the Board.
- The chairman of the nominating committee will read the slate of officers at all Club meetings in April.
- At the first meeting in May, providing a quorum is present, the chairman of the nominating committee will read the slate of officers as well as entertain nominations from the floor. Immediately after this reading, by a voice vote, the membership will select its officers. If a member requests a secret vote, and it is approved by a majority voice vote of the active members present and voting, the balloting will be in secret. A majority vote will elect a member to office.
- Officers are elected for a one-year term. They will assume their full duties after the annual Spring Banquet.
- Should the office of the President become vacant for any reason, it will be taken over for the remainder of the year by a member of the Board. Should any other office become vacant, it will be filled for the remainder of the year by an appointment of a member by the President with the approval of the Board.
SECTION IV - QUORUM
- The presence of one-fifth of the members of the Club in good standing will be necessary to begin any business meeting.
- A majority of the Executive Board will constitute a quorum at Board meetings.
SECTION V - DUTIES OF OFFICERS AND DIRECTORS
- The President will preside at all the Club and Executive Board Meetings. The President will appoint the chairs of committees and announce them in the bulletin. The President will act as the Club's spokesperson and generally supervise the Club's activities.
- The Vice-President – Program, with the assistance of the Board, is responsible for the selection of programs for the second fiscal year following election. All programs must have the approval of the Board. Programs should be finalized in time for inclusion in the printed NFRCC Program.
- The Chair – Projected Image Division and Co-chair – Projected Image Division are responsible for all duties relating to projected image competitions, assisting with procurement of judges, and maintenance of competition records.
- The Chair – Print Division and Co-chair – Print Division is responsible for all duties relating to prints competitions, including assisting with the procurement of judges, and maintenance of competition records.
- The Recording Secretary will keep a written record of all the Club's business meetings and the Executive Board Meetings. If paper ballots are needed, the Recording Secretary will prepare them and have them distributed to members.
- The Treasurer will receive all membership applications, dues, and funds, issue membership cards, have the funds deposited in an approved bank, and write checks with the approval of the Executive Board. The Treasurer will prepare a financial report to be presented at each meeting of the Executive Board, and arrange for an annual audit. The Treasurer shall arrange the year end Award Banquet
- The Director of Membership is responsible for all duties relating to Membership.
- The Director of the FORMAT is responsible for the publishing of the FORMAT newsletter.
- Directors are elected from the general membership of the Club. There will be two Directors.
- The Immediate Past President will serve as a member of the Executive Board. If the Immediate Past President is not available to serve, the President, with the approval of the Executive Board will appoint a member to fill the remainder of the term. The appointee will serve as a Director.
SECTION VI - COMMITTEES
- The Executive Board will determine the functions of the various committees. The Chair of a committee will carry out the tasks and duties as prescribed by the Board.
- The chair of a committee will report activities to the Executive Board.
- Committees may include:
- Projected Image Selection for McKellar, Golden Horseshoe and other outside competitions.
- Maintaining the Club Showcase at the Museum.
- Developing Exhibits as needed.
- Providing hospitality at Program Meetings.
- Website administrator to maintain the club’s website.
- Social Media Committee to update the club’s social media accounts.
- Club outings - organize outside activities for the benefit of the membership
SECTION VII - MEETINGS
- At the Buffalo Museum of Science, according to the following schedule:
- First Week of the month - Print and Projected Image Competitions.
- Third Week of the month - Special Program or Workshop.
- Executive Board meetings as needed.
- Meetings will normally not be held during the months of June, July and August.
- Special meetings may be called by the President, with the approval of the Executive Board, as the need arises.
- Executive Board and business meetings of the Club will be conducted according to Robert’s Rules of Order, except as otherwise provided in this constitution and by-laws.
SECTION VIII - COMPETITION RULES AND PROCEDURES
Competition rules and procedures reflecting the desires of the members will be established by the Board of Directors, will be published for distribution to the membership at the beginning of each competition year. Such rules will apply for the entire year.
SECTION IX - LIABILITY
The club assumes no responsibility for any loss or damage to materials submitted for competition or display and members submitting materials do so at their own risk.
PDF Download: SMCC Constitution & By-laws